Here are a few things to keep in mind if you got “the letter”:
- Don’t Panic – you may just have a minor adjustment to your return. Better yet, they may owe you money.
- The letter will have specific details telling you what you need to do to respond.
- If it’s a correction notice, compare their details to your records and see what you missed.
- If you don’t agree, send a written explanation including copies of any documents you want them to consider.
- You should be able to handle most issues via mail, no visit required.
- Keep copies of all corresponding.
- Most important – Don’t Panic!